Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Why I remember Momma



One day my Mom and I took a ride to Wisconsin Dells to watch my husband's band play. (I remember my Momma wasn't afraid to party with us! hehe!) She and I were talking about how nice it would be to hear your eulogy BEFORE you passed. Just like it would be nice to receive all those BEAUTIFUL flowers before as well.  We both don't get why all these amazing arrangements sit at the funeral parlor and then go to some church afterward.  My goodness, how nice it would be to have those scents and beauty in your home to remind you that someone loves you while you are STILL HERE!  But I digress...
So I gave my mom her "eulogy" and told her many of the things I love about her so. 

I did not write them down.  That's what I'd like to do now.  So that one day I can look back and never forget how very blessed I was and so that my daughter will know that I don't feel I could ever be as good a Mother as mine was to me.
I will try though.

The title of this blog comes from a play/movie of a similar name. "I Remember Mama".   I saw the movie version of this in my early 20's and it RUINED me.  I pretty much cried through the whole entire thing! So many similarities to my own Momma, (pronounced the same as Mama, but this is how she always spelled it in notes and such). From, making us feel secure when we didn't know where the next pay check would come from to taking care of injured pets or nursing us better than any hospital could ever do. This was MY Momma.


It's a st
ory about a family who comes from Norway to America to try to give their children a hopeful future. There are three children and the oldest, "Katrin", is very dramatic and imaginative. I can relate to this... The story is told by way of Katrin telling her memoirs of her Mother while trying to become an author.  It's a beautiful story, if you have not seen it, I highly recommend it.  Watch it with your Mom if she's still here!

This weekend we FINALLY found out what has been troubling my Momma after months of pain in her back and numerous doctor, chiropractor and physical therapy visits. She was diagnosed with liver cancer and they suspect bone cancer as well. Not sure if I'm supposed to capitalize those, but I sure as hell am not going to. The doctor told her she has about 8-9 months and recommended not getting treatment so as to enjoy the time she has.  

So now our family is going to have another adventure under our belt called, "Life".  To say goodbye to someone who could not BE more loving and more loved. How on earth are we EVER going to do that?  


 
 

3 comments:

  1. We'll probably have to put a good face on it. I shouldn't wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! What a wonderful way to honor your momma and express that beautiful heart of yours!

    ReplyDelete