Tuesday, November 20, 2012

...with my Daddy



Most women my age compare their relationships to their parent's. Usually NOT in a good way.  My parents are no exception.  Theirs is indeed a "generational" type of marriage. The communication really didn't happen... She did all the cleaning, cooking, washing, diaper changing, etc... etc...  I actually believe, it's what helped all us sisters in my family to get such "hands on" husbands! I won't spend time listing all the negative ways that has manifested because if your parents were married in the 50's...you probably KNOW.

The thing that amazes me though, is how well it works for them!
I guess when you're married for 57 years you get a pretty good system!  A couple years ago, my dad had a heart attack in the doctor's office while getting a checkup for some issues he was having with his heart.  It resulted in him having major heart surgery.  During his recovery, my Mom and he had such an interesting way of relating. They were indeed a TEAM.  The amazing tenderness they have for each other showed in ways I had not seen ever before. It was like seeing the two of them in an entirely different light. There was this unspoken language. She took care of him, she was THERE for him. 

My Momma has been "there" for my Daddy for a long time.  My Dad left the "rat race" of Milwaukee and a "stable job" to move to the country and start a small grocery store in a little town. That didn't last long and money was always hard to come by. It wasn't until I was older that my dad landed a job as Ronald McDonald. Yes, I'm serious. That was when we actually knew what it was like to not worry about money.  You can guess who he hired to be his assistant.  Yes, my Momma was there for him and for us, for richer or for poorer! I asked her once why she followed him and was willing to give up everything.  She told me that, she always loved the country too and was glad to get out of the city. It was that simple.  He went, she followed and made the best of it. My Momma knows how to make the best of it!   I often wonder how different our lives would have been if my Dad didn't become a "Hippy" and move to Amherst Junction.  Would we have such an interesting family and such love for each other if we stayed in Milwaukee??  How different would it be? 

Another thing I appreciated about my parents was that no matter how much they would argue or get on each others' nerves, they were LOYAL to each other.  If anyone tried to take down my Mom or Dad the other would be there to defend. Only my Mom could say bad things about my Dad... and only my Dad could pick on my Mom!  No. one. else.   They taught that loyalty to us I think.  I don't care HOW MUCH my siblings may drive me crazy... if you take down one of my sisters or my brother OR their kids... you take down ME and you better watch out!

We have ALWAYS said that we PRAY that Dad would go before Mom. We almost thought that would happen last year with Dad's heart surgeryWe could not imagine what our Dad would do without her! Lately, with Mom's pain, my Dad has been the picture of Suzie Homemaker.  Cooking, cleaning, back rubs for his bride, getting ice and checking on her in the middle of the night, doing the wash...  My Momma was teasing him that he will make a great husband for someone when she passes on.  Yup,  they TEASE!  My parents are funny!

I remember the laughter and the private jokes between them.  The way that my Dad would reach over in our Volkswagen Van and squeeze my Mom's knee because she was SO ticklish there. "FRANK! Cut it out!!!"  I remember their pet names for each other "Darling", "Dearest Darling", "Darling Dearest" and "Darling Darling". Don't ask me how THAT got started.  I think it had something to do with the TV show "Hart to Hart".... My Mom would say my Dad looked like Robert Mitchum.  I KNOW my Daddy realized he landed himself a KNOCKOUT! My Momma is a HOTTIE hands down. 

The way my Momma is with my Daddy taught me to love wholly and NO. MATTER. WHAT. 
I'm very thankful for that. Because it's worth it in the end
I will always remember my Momma with my Daddy and smile.

They are a couple that are loved and respected by many.


      



 
 

1 comment: